Monday, January 02, 2006

Pain - Why Is It Necessary?

Pain, and the suffering it causes, is one of life's greatest problems. All of us suffer painful times, whether it be physical, emotional, or spiritual. Why do we have to suffer pain? In their book, "Pain: The Gift Nobody Wants," Philip Yancy and Paul Brand talk about the tragedy of living life without pain, as did the lepers Dr. Brand worked with in India. Inability to feel pain usually leads to an early death or disability because the body has no mechanism to warn or fight against that which is dangerous to it.

Pain is an indication that there is a problem, physical, emotional, or spiritual. The pain of a guilty conscience can warn us about evil dangers and moral trouble. Pain is a necessary part of healthy human existence. Because of pain, the Holy Spirit is motivated to comfort, nurture, and console - something that often comes to us by no other means but pain.

In Romans 8: 31-39, the Apostle Paul teaches that nothing, including painful times, can come between you as a believer and God. I know there are pains that come into our lives that we don't understand or no why we have to suffer them, but God showed us that He loved us so much by giving His Son on the cross. I truly do not understand why we have to have so much pain, but knowing God loves me and wants His best for me helps me to endure. You see, one day God promises that all sorrow, death, tears, and pain will be gone (Revelation 21: 4). That's when we go to heaven. I look forward to that.

Have a God-blessed day.

Pastor Gary

1 comment:

Gary Hill said...

I do get what you are saying. I have never experienced chronic pain but I did experience another type of illness last year and I must admit I didn't respond very well. I was ready for the easy way out kind of wanting God to take me home. It helped me to understand how weak my faith was.

A few years ago my wife went through a terrible time of depression. It was so bad that she was crippled, had seizures, wanted to die, and so on. I had never seen anyone suffer like she did. But through her faith and the support of family and friends she is doing much better today, even leading our praise team at church.

My prayers are with you. I know there is unexplained suffering in our lives but I'm just thankful that it is only temporary.

Pastor Gary